International Photo Contest
|Dates / Deadlines:|
The Center for Global Education’s
3rd Annual International Photo Contest
The contest theme is: Global Transitions
The purpose of this exhibition is to highlight and promote global experiences to the university. Whether it’s USA students, faculty and staff going abroad or international students, faculty and staff located here, this is a venue for the university community to express creativity in interpreting culture and personal transitions via crossing pathways.
- Entrants must be current UW-W student, recent graduate, recent international student, or UW-W faculty/staff.
- Entries must be from recent experiences between 2012 - 2016*
- Entries must be from another country outside of your own
Entry Rules and Guidelines:
- Each applicant may submit up to three original photographs in total: The photos will want to tie in cultural elements of Global Transitions
- You will be asked to include the following with each electronic submission:
- A personal statement on how your photo is related to Global Transitions. The statement itself should be one to three paragraphs on how our photo ties into 1-3 questions related to the exhibitions theme "Transitions"
- How has your perspective changed as a result of cultural immersion travel?
- How has meeting the people of other countries and learning about their culture enabled you to open your mind and be empathetic?
- How have you gained an understanding and appreciation for our fascinating world?
- Submissions must be digital and of high quality resolution. The resolution will be a factor in judging. Photos must be 5 megabytes or smaller and must be in JPEG or JPG format and 300 dpi or higher.
- To preserve the integrity of the photo contest, drastic digital alterations to the appearance of the original photo (e.g. adding, removing, or moving aspects of the photo, drastic color changes, filters, etc.) are not acceptable. Entrants are welcome to make digital enhancements to their photos (e.g. cropping, color balance, brightness/contrast, red eye elimination, grayscale, etc.). If you are unsure whether an adjustment is acceptable or not, please check with the Center for Global Education (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The photos must be taken by the person submitting them to the contest
Apply online by clicking "Apply now" at the top of this page.
- The deadline for all submissions is Friday February 5th, 2016. The online application portal will close at 11:59pm.
- Photographers will be notified about jury entry results by Friday February 26th 2016.
Judges: To be fair, will be outside of the UWW community TBD
Awards: UW-W recognition of your fine work
- 27 photos will be printed, framed and displayed at the UC Fiskum Gallery March 1st - March 19th 2016. A reception will be held on Wednesday March 2nd from 12:00pm – 1:30pm (The CGE retains printed photos and frames)
- A rotating digital gallery of the winners will be displayed during International Education Week in the Hyland Hall atrium
- Any photos submitted may be used for promotional purposes by the Center for Global Education
- The top three “Peoples’ Choice” awards will be given at the end of the International Dinner on Friday March 4th.– Award is $25.00 gift card at the University Bookstore. Balloting takes place during gallery hours
Terms and Conditions of Photo Release:Submission of photos to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater International Photo contest constitutes the entrant’s agreement to the following:
- Having read, understood, and accepted the rules and Guidelines of the UW-W photo contest.
- By submitting photos to the Photo Contest, entrants grant the University of Wisconsin – Whitewater non-exclusive license to use your photo and accompanying entry information, including name and program information, for promotional purposes.
- To release for him/herself, his/her heirs, executors and administrators, the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater, its officers, agents, employees, and from any obligation or liability, and from any and all claims for libel, slander, invasion of the right of privacy or any claim based on the use or exhibition of said material.