University of Wisconsin - Whitewater & Ollin Tlahtoalli:
Centro de Español y Cultura Mexicana
Study Abroad Program in Oaxaca, Mexico
Spanish Language and Culture
July 6 - July 24, 2020
Spend three weeks this summer studying Spanish and enhancing your understanding of Mexican culture in the heart of Oaxaca, Mexico. Participants in the program will be enrolled in a Spanish language and culture course (45 hours) and will have the opportunity to extend their Spanish skills and understanding of diverse Mexican culture through experiential learning activities and a series of seminars and talks. Seminars will include the following themes: a) food and society in Mexico (2 hours), b) plurilingual Oaxaca and the construction of identities (2 hours), and c) Oaxacan street art (4 hours).
Students will also have the opportunity to participate and volunteer with Ollin Tlahtoalli’s staff on weekly art-identity workshops provided in two different Indigenous communities of Oaxaca. A UW-Whitewater faculty member will accompany students in the program.
Other Program Components:
On-Site Orientation: Centro de Español y Cultura Ollin Tlahtoalli will provide an orientation for students and faculty members upon arrival in Oaxaca.
The orientation will include:
Experiential Activities (field trips): As part of the academic seminars, Ollin Tlahtoalli will organize the following field trips (including round trip transportation and guide services):
- Information on health and safety, culture, and living in Oaxaca, Mexico
- Walking tour of downtown Oaxaca
- Welcome lunch or dinner with Oaxacan families and Ollin Staff
- Archaeological site of Monte Alban and 16th Century Convent of Cuilapam
- Traditional Sunday market in the Community of Tlacolula
- Zapotec community of Santa Maria el Tule
- Traditional mezcal distillery plant in the valley of Oaxaca
- Museo Oaxaqueño de las Culturas.
Monte Alban Spanish and culture class Art and identity project
Included Accommodations and Meals:
Centro de Español Y Cultura Mexicana Ollin Tlahtoalli will arrange housing for all students during the program in homestays in single or shared rooms for 21 days. Breakfast/lunch will be provided daily.
Student and faculty will have access to the Centro de Español Y Cultura Ollin Tlahtoalli’s facilities.
Included Airport Transfer:
Centro de Español Y Cultura Ollin Tlahtoalli will arrange for students to be picked up at the Oaxaca airport upon arrival.
Students will arrange their own transportation from their homestay to the Oaxaca airport (departure).
Student Services Support and Student Life:
Centro de Español Y Cultura Ollin Tlahtoalli Representative will provide 24/7 emergency support and accompany University of Wisconsin-Whitewater students and faculty for the duration of the program.
Estimated Program Price:
Program fees are applied to your UW-Whitewater student account.
Prices for this program are as follows:
Program Requirements and Application Procedures:
- The program is open to UW-Whitewater students, faculty, staff and area teachers who are interested in expanding their knowledge of the Spanish language and Mexican culture through classroom and experiential learning.
||Fee per Student
|Program fee: 8-10 students
|Program fee: 11-15 students
|Roundtrip flight (separate)
*Includes all UW-Whitewater Office of Global Experiences admin fees
- Apply through the Office of Global Experiences www.uww.edu/international/globalexperiences. Click on Search and Apply.
- Schedule an appointment with the program Faculty Advisor, Melanie Schneider.
- For application-related questions, please contact Dan Colleran, Global Experiences Coordinator: email@example.com, Tel. (262) 472-5757 or Office of Global Experiences: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel. (262) 472-5759
Program Application Deadlines:
The deadline for submitting this form is May 1, 2020.
Program Faculty Advisor:
Melanie Schneider, Department of Curriculum & Instruction, Winther Hall 3042, email@example.com, Tel. (262) 472-5439
Academic credit for the program is optional. World Language Spanish majors may extend their stay to meet the 4-week residency abroad requirement. Please contact Melanie Schneider for more information.